So the last two weeks in my institute class we have been studying Effective Communication. Ya, big topic. There is always so much that we all need to work on. That's what's amazing about this class, no matter where you are in life, there is always something to be learned in class. Well today was the last day we were studying communication. And there are a few things that I am delighted that I learned....
a. Willing to listen. The key to communication is going into a communicating relationship with the desire to understand the other person's point of view. How often do we just want to get "our opinion" across to the other person. I've tried to work on thinking of the other person instead of myself lately, and let me just say, it's not always the easiest thing to do. But I know that it truly makes things better when we can get past ourselves and focus on the other person.
b. Wiling to share what you are feelings. I am most guilty of not doing this. I like to keep my feelings inside of me. Well on one hand. I can seem to express my feelings, positive or negative, with everyone except the person that they are regarding. But you truly have to share what you feel. Gerald Lund stated: "Mean what you say, and say what you mean." So true. Well what's scary about this, is opening up to someone else. Vulnerability, the chance that you might get hurt. But let me tell you, it feel SO GREAT once you actually let someone know how you are feeling. It's like this burden has been lifted from you. So don't worry how they are going to react, you can't change that, but make yourself feel better, and share.
c. Willing to sacrifice. The time to share a problem is when that person has a problem. Ask yourself, "What is more important than that person at the time?" Hopefully the answer is nothing. We get so caught up in other things that we, even me myself, get distracted by what truly is the most important thing in this world. It's not the things or accomplishments that we are going to take with us in the end, it's the relationships that we make with others that carry on. All relationships take time, effort and even struggle. You have to be willing to sacrifice what you need to make things work.
I hope I didn't seem too preachy, but these things are so delightful. It's amazing how much can be learned. Just wants me to become a better person. Better myself so that I can reach my full potential. Well, thanks for reading. Have delightfully magnificent Monday!

Sounds like you have an amazing institute class, I wish I enjoyed mine as much as you enjoy yours.
ReplyDelete